Sailor guards Battleship Sevastopol.
Gunners inside a Russian battleship, early 20th century.
Battleship “Marat” was considered a symbol of the naval power of the Soviet Union.
She was the most-described and filmed ship of the Country of the Soviets. In her 40-year service, rich in events, she survived four wars, but only in one of them – the Civil War – she used her main guns in an engagement with enemy warships. Only once in her career. In other conflicts, she served as a monitor rather than a battleship, shelling mainly land targets and carrying out counter-battery fire. At the end, she fell victim of the destructive power of German dive bombers. From that moment, she was a battleship only on paper. Mutilated and devoid of propulsion, she was still biting at the Germans from her remaining guns, and after the war, young pupils of the maritime craft appeared on board.
Georgii Pobedonosets was a battleship built for the Imperial Russian Navy, the fourth and final ship of the Ekaterina II class.
She fired on SMS Goeben during her bombardment of Sevastopol in 1914, but spent most of the war serving as a headquarters ship in Sevastopol. She was captured by both sides during the Russian Civil War, but ended up being towed to Bizerte by the fleeing White Russians where she was eventually scrapped.
Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich and Admiral S.O. Makarov watch the newly constructed battleship Oslyabya, during maneuvers on the Baltic Sea, 1899.
In the Central Museum of Armed forces of the Russian Federation includes a unique sample honorary swords, which were awarded to the officers of the battleship “Empress Maria” and preserved in a single copy.
Saber blade manufactured at the plant in Zlatoust from Damascus.
Russian battleships CHESMA and PERESVET -on right- at Vladivostok,1916
After the collapse of White Russia in the Crimea, The Battleship General Alekseev (former Imperator Aleksandr III) made its way with fleet of refugee ships to Bizerte, in the French colony of Tunisia. Alekseev was interned there by the French until 1924. The French and the Soviets couldn’t come to an agreement with respect to repatriation of the ship, in part because of its poor condition, and in part because of French demands for back payment of docking fees.
Her St Andrews Ensign was hauled down 29 October, 1924.
Sergei Pen ( b.1952)- “The final descent Andreevsky flag of the Russian the squadron in Bizerte”. 1992
Сергей Варленович Пен (1952 г.р.)- «Последний спуск Андреевского флага на русской эскадре в Бизерте». 1992 г.
Battleship Sevastopol. The main caliber tower. 1952