Fokker CVD ‘349’ (SE-ALS) by Alan Wilson
Built 1931 at the Kjeller factory in Norway.
Saw action flying reconnaissance missions during the early part of WW2 before being evacuated to Sweden in April 1940. Given the civil registration SE-ALS in Sweden in 1942, she was gifted to the Royal Norwegian Air Force in 1949 and flown back to Norway for preservation.
Now on display in the Military Aircraft Hall of the Norsk Luftfartsmuseum (Norwegian Aviation Museum).
Bodø, Northern Norway
24th May 2019
The following information is from the Museum website:-
“The Fokker C.V is a two-seater biplane built by Anthony Fokker. It was launched in 1924. It was the world’s first multi-role military aircraft and it could be adapted to any military task by changing the upper wings and/or engine. The plane became a great export success and was sold to, or produced under licence in, a dozen countries including Norway. Altogether more than 850 of these aircraft were built. The plane’s popularity was due mainly to it being easy to maintain and very versatile. Two types of standard upper wings were produced. With the 41-foot “D” wing the aircraft could be used as a fighter, reconnaissance plane or for artillery observation. With the 50-foot “E” wing the aircraft could be adapted for reconnaissance or bombing missions.
The Army Air Force bought five Fokker C.V-Es in 1927. The purchase also included rights to produce a further 42 aircraft under licence. By 1939, 15 C.V-Es and 27 C.V-Ds had been built by the Kjeller aircraft factory. After 1934 the C.V-D was fitted with more powerful Armstrong Panther engines, built under licence in Norway. On 9 April 1940 forty Fokker C.Vs were still intact. They were used for reconnaissance and light transport during combat operations, especially in North Norway.
The Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum’s Fokker C.V-D “349” was Works number 133 at the Kjeller aircraft factory and was completed in 1931. The aircraft belonged to the flying school at Kjeller and took part in the battles in South Norway in 1940. The aircraft carried out a number of reconnaissance sorties then, mainly in the morning and evening when the faster German aircraft were not so active. Fokker 349 was evacuated to Sweden on 15 April 1940, where it was taken over by the Swedish authorities. In 1942, the aircraft was given the civil registration SE-ALS. In 1949, the plane was presented to the RNoAF as a gift, flown home to Norway, restored and gradually returned to its original appearance.”
From the Neutrality Guard, Bergen, October 1914
Norwegian Soldiers 1905
Norwegian Army Picklehaub & tunic, 1845
Norwegian Jagers – c. 1915
The Battle of Drøbak Sound took place in Drøbak Sound, the northernmost part of the outer Oslofjord in southern Norway, on 9 April 1940. It marked the end of the “Phoney War” and the beginning of World War II in Western Europe.
A German fleet led by the cruiser Blücher was dispatched up the Oslofjord to begin the German invasion of Norway, with the objective of seizing the Norwegian capital of Oslo and capturing King Haakon VII and his government. The fleet was engaged in the fjord by Oscarsborg Fortress, an ageing coastal installation near Drøbak, that had been relegated to training coastal artillery servicemen, leading the Germans to disregard its defensive value. However, unbeknownst to German military intelligence, the fortress’ most powerful weapon was a torpedo battery, which would be used to great effect against the German invaders.
The fortress’ armaments worked flawlessly despite their age, sinking the Blücher in the sound and forcing the German fleet to fall back. The loss of the German flagship, which carried most of the troops and Gestapo agents intended to occupy Oslo, delayed the German occupation long enough for King Haakon VII and his government to escape from the capital.
Norwegian Jagers – c. 1915