Pallada was the lead ship in the Pallada class of protected cruisers in the Imperial Russian Navy.
She was sister to cruiser Aurora.
In August 1904 at the Battle of the Yellow Sea, after being struck by a torpedo, Pallada managed to make her way back to Port Arthur, and was thus unable to break through the Japanese blockade along with a number of other Russian cruisers. Her guns were removed to help strengthen the land defenses and most of her crew was reassigned to serve as infantry. Pallada was sunk by Japanese 11-inch siege howitzers on 8 December 1904.
After the end of the war, the wreck of Pallada was raised and towed to Japan, where it was repaired and commissioned into the Imperial Japanese Navy as a prize of war. Renamed Tsugaru, she served as a training vessel and later as a minelayer until decommissioned in 1922.

0

pinturasdeguerra-acorazados:

1915 Cruiser Bruix – Paul Wright

Amidst all the novelties of French warship design, some classes of ships stood out and caught the attention of foreign navies and amongst these were the Bruix class of ‘Colonial’ cruisers. Bruix and her sisters served the outposts of the French colonial empire as well as being slated for commerce raiding in the event of war. With a displacement of under 5000 tons, Bruix mounted a very heavy armament of 7.6″ and 5.5” guns as well as torpedo tubes and with a speed of 19 knots she was a well respected warship albeit a rather strange looking one. On a relatively short hull Bruix had an extraordinary spoonbill bow which seemed to serve no useful purpose beyond being some kind of ram, a somewhat outdated device in the early 20th century. Bruix served her country throughout the first world war in the Red Sea and the Aegean. She was broken up in 1920.

The bow cutaway was to minimize blast affect from the bow main battery.

0