T-75 BS, a Renault FT close-support vehicle, stationed at Goulmima, Morocco, circa 1930.
Musee des Blindes fabulously painted Char B1.
French Schneider CA1 tanks being entrained on a special platform at Conty, Somme, c1917.
This led to problems when crossing trenches as they were way too short.
French Saint-Chamond Tank, showing its long and heavy snout, its 75 mm. field gun and two of its four machine guns. the track was sprung and carried on frames built seperately from the body, much as are wheels of a car.
The Renault FT was the brainchild of French Army Colonel
Jean-Baptiste Estienne. The idea of fielding light-class tanks during
the Great War was not in line with French authorities, the accepted
doctrine being on use of the large and lumbering “landships” – roaming
fortresses outfitted with cannon and machine gun. Regardless, the
resulting Renault light tank design, the FT of 1917, produced a two-man
system mounting a then-potent 37mm cannon or one 8mm machine gun. The FT
displayed all the features that became the norm in tank design till
Somua S35 tanks from the 1st squadron of the 13th Dragoon regiment of the French army
Captain of Boisgelin, and the crew of his Schneider CA1 tank.
French and American officers who took part in the reconquest of Cantigny before a Schneider CA1, May 1918.